Synonyms of fearful
- 1. fearful, afraid(predicate) (vs. unafraid)
- usage: experiencing or showing fear; "a fearful glance"; "fearful of criticism"
- 2. awful, dire, direful, dread(prenominal), dreaded, dreadful, fearful, fearsome, frightening, horrendous, horrific, terrible, alarming (vs. unalarming)
- usage: causing fear or dread or terror; "the awful war"; "an awful risk"; "dire news"; "a career or vengeance so direful that London was shocked"; "the dread presence of the headmaster"; "polio is no longer the dreaded disease it once was"; "a dreadful storm"; "a fearful howling"; "horrendous explosions shook the city"; "a terrible curse"
- 3. cowardly (vs. brave), fearful, caitiff, chicken, chickenhearted, lily-livered, white-livered, yellow, yellow-bellied, craven, recreant, dastard(prenominal), dastardly, faint, fainthearted, timid, faint-hearted, funky, poltroon, pusillanimous, poor-spirited, unmanly, afraid, ignoble, timid
- usage: lacking courage; ignobly timid and faint-hearted; "cowardly dogs, ye will not aid me then"- P.B.Shelley
- 4. fearful, frightful, bad (vs. good)
- usage: extremely distressing; "fearful slum conditions"; "a frightful mistake"
- 5. fearful, timorous, trepid, timid (vs. bold)
- usage: timid by nature or revealing timidity; "timorous little mouse"; "in a timorous tone"; "cast fearful glances at the large dog"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of fearful (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.