Synonyms of extinguished
- 1. snuff out, extinguish, extinguish, eliminate, get rid of, do away with
- usage: put an end to; kill; "The Nazis snuffed out the life of many Jewish children"
- 2. snuff out, blow out, extinguish, quench
- usage: put out, as of fires, flames, or lights; "Too big to be extinguished at once, the forest fires at best could be contained"; "quench the flames"; "snuff out the candles"
- 3. stub out, crush out, extinguish, press out, end, terminate
- usage: extinguish by crushing; "stub out your cigar"
- 4. extinguish, eliminate, get rid of, do away with, destroy, destruct
- usage: terminate, end, or take out; "Let's eliminate the course on Akkadian hieroglyphics"; "Socialism extinguished these archaic customs"; "eliminate my debts"
- 5. eliminate, annihilate, extinguish, eradicate, wipe out, decimate, carry off, kill
- usage: kill in large numbers; "the plague wiped out an entire population"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. extinguished, destroyed (vs. preserved)
- usage: of a conditioned response; caused to die out because of the absence or withdrawal of reinforcement
All rights reserved.