WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. expression, look, aspect, facial expression, face, countenance, visage
- usage: the feelings expressed on a person's face; "a sad expression"; "a look of triumph"; "an angry face"
- 2. expression, manifestation, reflection, reflexion, demonstration, demo
- usage: expression without words; "tears are an expression of grief"; "the pulse is a reflection of the heart's condition"
- 3. expression, verbal expression, verbalism, communication, communicating
- usage: the communication (in speech or writing) of your beliefs or opinions; "expressions of good will"; "he helped me find verbal expression for my ideas"; "the idea was immediate but the verbalism took hours"
- 4. saying, expression, locution, speech, speech communication, spoken communication, spoken language, language, voice communication, oral communication
- usage: a word or phrase that particular people use in particular situations; "pardon the expression"
- 5. formulation, expression, expressive style, style
- usage: the style of expressing yourself; "he suggested a better formulation"; "his manner of expression showed how much he cared"
- 6. formula, expression, mathematical statement
- usage: a group of symbols that make a mathematical statement
- 7. expression, organic process, biological process
- usage: (genetics) the process of expressing a gene
- 8. construction, grammatical construction, expression, constituent, grammatical constituent
- usage: a group of words that form a constituent of a sentence and are considered as a single unit; "I concluded from his awkward constructions that he was a foreigner"
- 9. expression, squeeze, squeezing
- usage: the act of forcing something out by squeezing or pressing; "the expression of milk from her breast"
All rights reserved.
See also: expression (Dictionary)