WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. explosion, detonation, blowup, discharge
- usage: a violent release of energy caused by a chemical or nuclear reaction
- 2. explosion, burst, change of integrity
- usage: the act of exploding or bursting; "the explosion of the firecrackers awoke the children"; "the burst of an atom bomb creates enormous radiation aloft"
- 3. explosion, increase
- usage: a sudden great increase; "the population explosion"; "the information explosion"
- 4. explosion, noise
- usage: the noise caused by an explosion; "the explosion was heard a mile away"
- 5. plosion, explosion, release, tone ending
- usage: the terminal forced release of pressure built up during the occlusive phase of a stop consonant
- 6. explosion, effusion, gush, outburst, blowup, ebullition
- usage: a sudden outburst; "an explosion of laughter"; "an explosion of rage"
- 7. explosion, golf stroke, golf shot, swing
- usage: a golf shot from a bunker that typically moves sand as well as the golf ball
All rights reserved.
See also: explosion (Dictionary)