Synonyms of excuse
- 1. excuse, alibi, exculpation, self-justification, defense, defence, vindication
- usage: a defense of some offensive behavior or some failure to keep a promise etc.; "he kept finding excuses to stay"; "every day he had a new alibi for not getting a job"; "his transparent self-justification was unacceptable"
- 2. excuse, note, short letter, line, billet
- usage: a note explaining an absence; "he had to get his mother to write an excuse for him"
- 3. apology, excuse, example, illustration, instance, representative
- usage: a poor example; "it was an apology for a meal"; "a poor excuse for an automobile"
- 1. excuse, pardon, forgive
- usage: accept an excuse for; "Please excuse my dirty hands"
- 2. excuse, relieve, let off, exempt, absolve, justify, free
- usage: grant exemption or release to; "Please excuse me from this class"
- 3. excuse, explain, justify, vindicate
- usage: serve as a reason or cause or justification of; "Your need to sleep late does not excuse your late arrival at work"; "Her recent divorce may explain her reluctance to date again"
- 4. apologize, apologise, excuse, justify, rationalize, rationalise, defend, support, fend for
- usage: defend, explain, clear away, or make excuses for by reasoning; "rationalize the child's seemingly crazy behavior"; "he rationalized his lack of success"
- 5. excuse, beg off, request, bespeak, call for, quest
- usage: ask for permission to be released from an engagement
- 6. excuse, condone, forgive
- usage: excuse, overlook, or make allowances for; be lenient with; "excuse someone's behavior"; "She condoned her husband's occasional infidelities"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of excuse (Dictionary)