WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. example, illustration, instance, representative, information
- usage: an item of information that is typical of a class or group; "this patient provides a typical example of the syndrome"; "there is an example on page 10"
- 2. model, example, representation, mental representation, internal representation
- usage: a representative form or pattern; "I profited from his example"
- 3. exemplar, example, model, good example, ideal
- usage: something to be imitated; "an exemplar of success"; "a model of clarity"; "he is the very model of a modern major general"
- 4. example, deterrent example, lesson, object lesson, admonition, monition, warning, word of advice
- usage: punishment intended as a warning to others; "they decided to make an example of him"
- 5. case, instance, example, happening, occurrence, occurrent, natural event
- usage: an occurrence of something; "it was a case of bad judgment"; "another instance occurred yesterday"; "but there is always the famous example of the Smiths"
- 6. exercise, example, lesson
- usage: a task performed or problem solved in order to develop skill or understanding; "you must work the examples at the end of each chapter in the textbook"
All rights reserved.
See also: example (Dictionary)