WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, fire, raise, provoke, make, create
- usage: call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses); "arouse pity"; "raise a smile"; "evoke sympathy"
- 2. provoke, evoke, call forth, kick up, cause, do, make
- usage: evoke or provoke to appear or occur; "Her behavior provoked a quarrel between the couple"
- 3. educe, evoke, elicit, extract, draw out, interpret, construe, see
- usage: deduce (a principle) or construe (a meaning); "We drew out some interesting linguistic data from the native informant"
- 4. raise, conjure, conjure up, invoke, evoke, stir, call down, arouse, bring up, put forward, call forth, make, create
- usage: summon into action or bring into existence, often as if by magic; "raise the specter of unemployment"; "he conjured wild birds in the air"; "call down the spirits from the mountain"
- 5. suggest, evoke, paint a picture, express, show, evince
- usage: call to mind; "this remark evoked sadness"
All rights reserved.
See also: evoke (Dictionary)