WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. hedge, fudge, evade, put off, circumvent, parry, elude, skirt, dodge, duck, sidestep, avoid
- usage: avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues); "He dodged the issue"; "she skirted the problem"; "They tend to evade their responsibilities"; "he evaded the questions skillfully"
- 2. elude, evade, bilk, escape, get away, break loose
- usage: escape, either physically or mentally; "The thief eluded the police"; "This difficult idea seems to evade her"; "The event evades explanation"
- 3. evade, act, move
- usage: practice evasion; "This man always hesitates and evades"
- 4. evade, get off, get away, get by, get out, escape
- usage: use cunning or deceit to escape or avoid; "The con man always evades"
All rights reserved.
See also: evade (Dictionary)