- 1. essay, writing, written material, piece of writing
- usage: an analytic or interpretive literary composition
- 2. essay, attempt, effort, endeavor, endeavour, try
- usage: a tentative attempt
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. try, seek, attempt, essay, assay, act, move
- usage: make an effort or attempt; "He tried to shake off his fears"; "The infant had essayed a few wobbly steps"; "The police attempted to stop the thief"; "He sought to improve himself"; "She always seeks to do good in the world"
- 2. test, prove, try, try out, examine, essay, evaluate, pass judgment, judge
- usage: put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to; "This approach has been tried with good results"; "Test this recipe"
All rights reserved.
See also: essay (Dictionary)