WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. elude, evade, bilk, escape, get away, break loose
- usage: escape, either physically or mentally; "The thief eluded the police"; "This difficult idea seems to evade her"; "The event evades explanation"
- 2. elude, escape, perplex, vex, stick, get, puzzle, mystify, baffle, beat, pose, bewilder, flummox, stupefy, nonplus, gravel, amaze, dumbfound
- usage: be incomprehensible to; escape understanding by; "What you are seeing in him eludes me"
- 3. hedge, fudge, evade, put off, circumvent, parry, elude, skirt, dodge, duck, sidestep, avoid
- usage: avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues); "He dodged the issue"; "she skirted the problem"; "They tend to evade their responsibilities"; "he evaded the questions skillfully"
All rights reserved.
See also: elude (Dictionary)