WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. promote, upgrade, advance, kick upstairs, raise, elevate, delegate, designate, depute, assign
- usage: give a promotion to or assign to a higher position; "John was kicked upstairs when a replacement was hired"; "Women tend not to advance in the major law firms"; "I got promoted after many years of hard work"
- 2. raise, lift, elevate, get up, bring up, move, displace
- usage: raise from a lower to a higher position; "Raise your hands"; "Lift a load"
- 3. lift, raise, elevate, change, alter, modify
- usage: raise in rank or condition; "The new law lifted many people from poverty"
All rights reserved.
See also: elevate (Dictionary)