WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. component, constituent, element, factor, ingredient, part, section, division
- usage: an abstract part of something; "jealousy was a component of his character"; "two constituents of a musical composition are melody and harmony"; "the grammatical elements of a sentence"; "a key factor in her success"; "humor: an effective ingredient of a speech"
- 2. component, constituent, element, part, portion
- usage: an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system; "spare components for cars"; "a component or constituent element of a system"
- 3. chemical element, element, substance
- usage: any of the more than 100 known substances (of which 92 occur naturally) that cannot be separated into simpler substances and that singly or in combination constitute all matter
- 4. element, environment, environs, surroundings, surround
- usage: the most favorable environment for a plant or animal; "water is the element of fishes"
- 5. element, substance
- usage: one of four substances thought in ancient and medieval cosmology to constitute the physical universe; "the alchemists believed that there were four elements"
- 6. element, situation, state of affairs
- usage: the situation in which you are happiest and most effective; "in your element"
- 7. element, straight line
- usage: a straight line that generates a cylinder or cone
All rights reserved.
See also: element (Dictionary)