WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. eat, eat, consume, ingest, take in, take, have
- usage: take in solid food; "She was eating a banana"; "What did you eat for dinner last night?"
- 2. eat, consume, ingest, take in, take, have
- usage: eat a meal; take a meal; "We did not eat until 10 P.M. because there were so many phone calls"; "I didn't eat yet, so I gladly accept your invitation"
- 3. feed, eat, consume, ingest, take in, take, have
- usage: take in food; used of animals only; "This dog doesn't eat certain kinds of meat"; "What do whales eat?"
- 4. eat, eat on, worry, vex
- usage: worry or cause anxiety in a persistent way; "What's eating you?"
- 5. consume, eat up, use up, eat, deplete, exhaust, run through, wipe out, spend, expend, drop
- usage: use up (resources or materials); "this car consumes a lot of gas"; "We exhausted our savings"; "They run through 20 bottles of wine a week"
- 6. corrode, eat, rust, damage
- usage: cause to deteriorate due to the action of water, air, or an acid; "The acid corroded the metal"; "The steady dripping of water rusted the metal stopper in the sink"
All rights reserved.
See also: eat (Dictionary)