WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. division, army unit
- usage: an army unit large enough to sustain combat; "two infantry divisions were held in reserve"
- 2. part, section, division, concept, conception, construct
- usage: one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole; "the written part of the exam"; "the finance section of the company"; "the BBC's engineering division"
- 3. division, separation
- usage: the act or process of dividing
- 4. division, administrative unit, administrative body
- usage: an administrative unit in government or business
- 5. division, variance, discord, dissension
- usage: discord that splits a group
- 6. class, division, league, conference
- usage: a league ranked by quality; "he played baseball in class D for two years"; "Princeton is in the NCAA Division 1-AA"
- 7. division, biological group
- usage: (biology) a group of organisms forming a subdivision of a larger category
- 8. division, phylum
- usage: (botany) taxonomic unit of plants corresponding to a phylum
- 9. division, air division, air unit
- usage: a unit of the United States Air Force usually comprising two or more wings
- 10. division, naval division, naval unit
- usage: a group of ships of similar type
- 11. division, arithmetic operation
- usage: an arithmetic operation that is the inverse of multiplication; the quotient of two numbers is computed
- 12. division, partition, partitioning, segmentation, sectionalization, sectionalisation, separation
- usage: the act of dividing or partitioning; separation by the creation of a boundary that divides or keeps apart
All rights reserved.
See also: division (Dictionary)