WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. deter, discourage, disapprove, reject
- usage: try to prevent; show opposition to; "We should discourage this practice among our youth"
- 2. discourage
- usage: deprive of courage or hope; take away hope from; cause to feel discouraged
- 3. warn, discourage, admonish, monish, rede, advise, counsel
- usage: admonish or counsel in terms of someone's behavior; "I warned him not to go too far"; "I warn you against false assumptions"; "She warned him to be quiet"
All rights reserved.
See also: discourage (Dictionary)