WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. catastrophe, disaster, adversity, hardship, hard knocks
- usage: a state of extreme (usually irremediable) ruin and misfortune; "lack of funds has resulted in a catastrophe for our school system"; "his policies were a disaster"
- 2. calamity, catastrophe, disaster, tragedy, cataclysm, misfortune, bad luck
- usage: an event resulting in great loss and misfortune; "the whole city was affected by the irremediable calamity"; "the earthquake was a disaster"
- 3. disaster, destruction, devastation
- usage: an act that has disastrous consequences
All rights reserved.
See also: disaster (Dictionary)