- 1. design, designing, creating by mental acts
- usage: the act of working out the form of something (as by making a sketch or outline or plan); "he contributed to the design of a new instrument"
- 2. design, plan, arrangement, organization, organisation, system
- usage: an arrangement scheme; "the awkward design of the keyboard made operation difficult"; "it was an excellent design for living"; "a plan for seating guests"
- 3. blueprint, design, pattern, plan, program, programme
- usage: something intended as a guide for making something else; "a blueprint for a house"; "a pattern for a skirt"
- 4. design, pattern, figure, decoration, ornament, ornamentation
- usage: a decorative or artistic work; "the coach had a design on the doors"
- 5. purpose, intent, intention, aim, design, goal, end
- usage: an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions; "his intent was to provide a new translation"; "good intentions are not enough"; "it was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs"; "he made no secret of his designs"
- 6. design, sketch, study
- usage: a preliminary sketch indicating the plan for something; "the design of a building"
- 7. invention, innovation, excogitation, conception, design, creativity, creativeness, creative thinking
- usage: the creation of something in the mind
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. plan, project, contrive, design, create by mental act, create mentally
- usage: make or work out a plan for; devise; "They contrived to murder their boss"; "design a new sales strategy"; "plan an attack"
- 2. design, intend, destine, designate, specify
- usage: plan something for a specific role or purpose or effect; "This room is not designed for work"
- 3. design, create, make
- usage: create the design for; create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner; "Chanel designed the famous suit"
- 4. design, plan, create by mental act, create mentally
- usage: make a design of; plan out in systematic, often graphic form; "design a better mousetrap"; "plan the new wing of the museum"
- 5. design, create, make
- usage: create designs; "Dupont designs for the house of Chanel"
- 6. design, gestate, conceive, conceptualize, conceptualise
- usage: conceive or fashion in the mind; invent; "She designed a good excuse for not attending classes that day"
- 7. design, intend, mean, think
- usage: intend or have as a purpose; "She designed to go far in the world of business"
All rights reserved.
See also: design (Dictionary)