WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. defense mechanism, defense reaction, defence mechanism, defence reaction, defense, defence, psychoanalytic process, process, unconscious process
- usage: (psychiatry) an unconscious process that tries to reduce the anxiety associated with instinctive desires
- 2. defense, defence, defending team, team, squad
- usage: (sports) the team that is trying to prevent the other team from scoring; "his teams are always good on defense"
- 3. defense, defence, defense team, defense lawyers, collection, aggregation, accumulation, assemblage
- usage: the defendant and his legal advisors collectively; "the defense called for a mistrial"
- 4. defense, defence, defense force, defence force, organization, organisation
- usage: an organization of defenders that provides resistance against attack; "he joined the defense against invasion"
- 5. refutation, defense, defence, answer
- usage: the speech act of answering an attack on your assertions; "his refutation of the charges was short and persuasive"; "in defense he said the other man started it"
- 6. defense, defence, vindication, justification
- usage: the justification for some act or belief; "he offered a persuasive defense of the theory"
- 7. defensive structure, defense, defence, structure, construction
- usage: a structure used to defend against attack; "the artillery battered down the defenses"
- 8. defense, defence, denial, demurrer, due process, due process of law
- usage: a defendant's answer or plea denying the truth of the charges against him; "he gave evidence for the defense"
- 9. defense, defence, defensive measure, military action, action
- usage: (military) military action or resources protecting a country against potential enemies; "they died in the defense of Stalingrad"; "they were developed for the defense program"
- 10. defense, defence, protection
- usage: protection from harm; "sanitation is the best defense against disease"
- 11. defense, defence, protection
- usage: the act of defending someone or something against attack or injury; "a good boxer needs a good defense"; "defense against hurricanes is an urgent problem"
All rights reserved.
See also: defence (Dictionary)