WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. detention, detainment, hold, custody, confinement
- usage: a state of being confined (usually for a short time); "his detention was politically motivated"; "the prisoner is on hold"; "he is in the custody of police"
- 2. custody, imprisonment, internment
- usage: holding by the police; "the suspect is in custody"
- 3. hands, custody, guardianship, keeping, safekeeping
- usage: (with `in') guardianship over; in divorce cases it is the right to house and care for and discipline a child; "my fate is in your hands"; "too much power in the president's hands"; "your guests are now in my custody"; "the mother was awarded custody of the children"
All rights reserved.
See also: custody (Dictionary)