WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. crucify, execute, put to death
- usage: kill by nailing onto a cross; "Jesus Christ was crucified"
- 2. torment, rag, bedevil, crucify, dun, frustrate, harass, hassle, harry, chivy, chivvy, chevy, chevvy, beset, plague, molest, provoke
- usage: treat cruelly; "The children tormented the stuttering teacher"
- 3. mortify, subdue, crucify, control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb, moderate
- usage: hold within limits and control; "subdue one's appetites"; "mortify the flesh"
- 4. savage, blast, pillory, crucify, knock, criticize, criticise, pick apart
- usage: criticize harshly or violently; "The press savaged the new President"; "The critics crucified the author for plagiarizing a famous passage"
All rights reserved.
See also: crucify (Dictionary)