WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. appliance, contraption, contrivance, convenience, gadget, gizmo, gismo, widget, device
- usage: a device or control that is very useful for a particular job
- 2. contrivance, invention, innovation, excogitation, conception, design
- usage: the faculty of contriving; inventive skill; "his skillful contrivance of answers to every problem"
- 3. contrivance, stratagem, dodge, scheme, strategy
- usage: an elaborate or deceitful scheme contrived to deceive or evade; "his testimony was just a contrivance to throw us off the track"
- 4. contrivance, arrangement, organization, organisation, system
- usage: an artificial or unnatural or obviously contrived arrangement of details or parts etc.; "the plot contained too many improbable contrivances to be believable"
- 5. lash-up, contrivance, arrangement
- usage: any improvised arrangement for temporary use
- 6. devisal, contrivance, invention
- usage: the act of devising something
All rights reserved.
See also: contrivance (Dictionary)