- 1. contrast, direct contrast, opposition, oppositeness
- usage: the opposition or dissimilarity of things that are compared; "in contrast to", "by contrast"
- 2. contrast, comparison, comparing
- usage: the act of distinguishing by comparing differences
- 3. line, dividing line, demarcation, contrast, differentiation, distinction
- usage: a conceptual separation or distinction; "there is a narrow line between sanity and insanity"
- 4. contrast, visual perception, beholding, seeing
- usage: the perceptual effect of the juxtaposition of very different colors
- 5. contrast, scope, range, reach, orbit, compass, ambit
- usage: the range of optical density and tone on a photographic negative or print (or the extent to which adjacent areas on a television screen differ in brightness)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. contrast, distinguish, separate, differentiate, secern, secernate, severalize, severalise, tell, tell apart
- usage: put in opposition to show or emphasize differences; "The middle school teacher contrasted her best student's work with that of her weakest student"
- 2. contrast, counterpoint, differ
- usage: to show differences when compared; be different; "the students contrast considerably in their artistic abilities"
All rights reserved.
See also: contrast (Dictionary)