WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. construction, building, creating from raw materials
- usage: the act of constructing something; "during the construction we had to take a detour"; "his hobby was the building of boats"
- 2. construction, grammatical construction, expression, constituent, grammatical constituent
- usage: a group of words that form a constituent of a sentence and are considered as a single unit; "I concluded from his awkward constructions that he was a foreigner"
- 3. construction, mental synthesis, thinking, thought, thought process, cerebration, intellection, mentation
- usage: the creation of a construct; the process of combining ideas into a congruous object of thought
- 4. structure, construction, artifact, artefact
- usage: a thing constructed; a complex entity constructed of many parts; "the structure consisted of a series of arches"; "she wore her hair in an amazing construction of whirls and ribbons"
- 5. construction, mathematical process, mathematical operation, operation
- usage: drawing a figure satisfying certain conditions as part of solving a problem or proving a theorem; "the assignment was to make a construction that could be used in proving the Pythagorean theorem"
- 6. construction, twist, interpretation
- usage: an interpretation of a text or action; "they put an unsympathetic construction on his conduct"
- 7. construction, building, commercial enterprise, business enterprise, business
- usage: the commercial activity involved in repairing old structures or constructing new ones; "their main business is home construction"; "workers in the building trades"
All rights reserved.
See also: construction (Dictionary)