- 1. speculation, conjecture, hypothesis, possibility, theory
- usage: a hypothesis that has been formed by speculating or conjecturing (usually with little hard evidence); "speculations about the outcome of the election"; "he dismissed it as mere conjecture"
- 2. guess, conjecture, supposition, surmise, surmisal, speculation, hypothesis, opinion, view
- usage: a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence
- 3. conjecture, reasoning, logical thinking, abstract thought
- usage: reasoning that involves the formation of conclusions from incomplete evidence
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. speculate, theorize, theorise, conjecture, hypothesize, hypothesise, hypothecate, suppose, expect, anticipate
- usage: to believe especially on uncertain or tentative grounds; "Scientists supposed that large dinosaurs lived in swamps"
All rights reserved.
See also: conjecture (Dictionary)