- 1. compel, oblige, obligate, induce, stimulate, cause, have, get, make
- usage: force somebody to do something; "We compel all students to fill out this form"
- 2. compel, necessitate, ask, postulate, need, require, take, involve, call for, demand
- usage: necessitate or exact; "the water shortage compels conservation"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. compelling, powerful (vs. powerless)
- usage: driving or forcing; "compelling ambition"
- 2. compelling, persuasive (vs. dissuasive)
- usage: tending to persuade by forcefulness of argument; "new and compelling evidence"
All rights reserved.
See also: compelling (Dictionary)