WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. column, file, single file, Indian file
- usage: a line of units following one after another
- 2. column, chromatography column, tube, tubing
- usage: a vertical glass tube used in column chromatography; a mixture is poured in the top and washed through a stationary substance where components of the mixture are adsorbed selectively to form colored bands
- 3. column, array
- usage: a vertical array of numbers or other information; "he added a column of numbers"
- 4. column, tower, pillar, shape, form
- usage: anything that approximates the shape of a column or tower; "the test tube held a column of white powder"; "a tower of dust rose above the horizon"; "a thin pillar of smoke betrayed their campsite"
- 5. column, editorial, newspaper column, article
- usage: an article giving opinions or perspectives
- 6. column, pillar, structure, construction
- usage: a vertical cylindrical structure standing alone and not supporting anything (such as a monument)
- 7. column, pillar, upright, vertical
- usage: (architecture) a tall vertical cylindrical structure standing upright and used to support a structure
- 8. column, text, textual matter
- usage: a page or text that is vertically divided; "the newspaper devoted several columns to the subject"; "the bookkeeper used pages that were divided into columns"
- 9. column, skeletal structure
- usage: any tubular or pillar-like supporting structure in the body
All rights reserved.
See also: column (Dictionary)