- 1. head, chief, top dog, leader
- usage: a person who is in charge; "the head of the whole operation"
- 2. foreman, chief, gaffer, honcho, boss, supervisor
- usage: a person who exercises control over workers; "if you want to leave early you have to ask the foreman"
- 3. headman, tribal chief, chieftain, chief, leader
- usage: the head of a tribe or clan
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. chief(prenominal), main(prenominal), primary(prenominal), principal(prenominal), master(prenominal), important (vs. unimportant), of import
- usage: most important element; "the chief aim of living"; "the main doors were of solid glass"; "the principal rivers of America"; "the principal example"; "policemen were primary targets"; "the master bedroom"; "a master switch"
All rights reserved.
See also: chief (Dictionary)