Synonyms of cheering
- 1. cheering, shouting, encouragement
- usage: encouragement in the form of cheers from spectators; "it's all over but the shouting"
- 1. cheer, hearten, recreate, embolden, encourage
- usage: give encouragement to
- 2. cheer, applaud
- usage: show approval or good wishes by shouting; "everybody cheered the birthday boy"
- 3. cheer, cheer up, jolly along, jolly up
- usage: cause (somebody) to feel happier or more cheerful; "She tried to cheer up the disappointed child when he failed to win the spelling bee"
- 4. cheer, cheer up, chirk up, rejoice, joy
- usage: become cheerful
- 5. cheer, root on, inspire, urge, barrack, urge on, exhort, pep up, encourage
- usage: spur on or encourage especially by cheers and shouts; "The crowd cheered the demonstrating strikers"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. comforting, cheering, satisfying, satisfactory (vs. unsatisfactory)
- usage: providing freedom from worry
All rights reserved.