- 1. checkmate, victory, triumph
- usage: complete victory
- 2. checkmate, mate, chess move
- usage: a chess move constituting an inescapable and indefensible attack on the opponent's king
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. checkmate, mate, beat, beat out, crush, shell, trounce, vanquish
- usage: place an opponent's king under an attack from which it cannot escape and thus ending the game; "Kasparov checkmated his opponent after only a few moves"
All rights reserved.
See also: checkmate (Dictionary)