- 1. challenge, dispute, gainsay, contest, contend, repugn
- usage: take exception to; "She challenged his claims"
- 2. challenge, invite, bid
- usage: issue a challenge to; "Fischer challenged Spassky to a match"
- 3. challenge, request, bespeak, call for, quest
- usage: ask for identification; "The illegal immigrant was challenged by the border guard"
- 4. challenge, take exception, object
- usage: raise a formal objection in a court of law
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. ambitious, challenging, difficult (vs. easy), hard
- usage: requiring full use of your abilities or resources; "ambitious schedule"; "performed the most challenging task without a mistake"
- 2. challenging, thought-provoking, stimulating (vs. unstimulating)
- usage: stimulating interest or thought; "a challenging hypothesis"; "a thought-provoking book"
- 3. challenging, intriguing, provocative (vs. unprovocative)
- usage: disturbingly provocative; "an intriguing smile"
All rights reserved.
See also: challenging (Dictionary)