WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. cell, compartment
- usage: any small compartment; "the cells of a honeycomb"
- 2. cell, living thing, animate thing
- usage: (biology) the basic structural and functional unit of all organisms; they may exist as independent units of life (as in monads) or may form colonies or tissues as in higher plants and animals
- 3. cell, electric cell, electrical device
- usage: a device that delivers an electric current as the result of a chemical reaction
- 4. cell, cadre, political unit, political entity
- usage: a small unit serving as part of or as the nucleus of a larger political movement
- 5. cellular telephone, cellular phone, cellphone, cell, mobile phone, radiotelephone, radiophone, wireless telephone
- usage: a hand-held mobile radiotelephone for use in an area divided into small sections, each with its own short-range transmitter/receiver
- 6. cell, cubicle, room
- usage: small room in which a monk or nun lives
- 7. cell, jail cell, prison cell, room
- usage: a room where a prisoner is kept
All rights reserved.
See also: cell (Dictionary)