WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. calamity, catastrophe, disaster, tragedy, cataclysm, misfortune, bad luck
- usage: an event resulting in great loss and misfortune; "the whole city was affected by the irremediable calamity"; "the earthquake was a disaster"
- 2. catastrophe, disaster, adversity, hardship, hard knocks
- usage: a state of extreme (usually irremediable) ruin and misfortune; "lack of funds has resulted in a catastrophe for our school system"; "his policies were a disaster"
- 3. catastrophe, cataclysm, geological phenomenon
- usage: a sudden violent change in the earth's surface
All rights reserved.
See also: catastrophe (Dictionary)