WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. canon, rule, prescript
- usage: a rule or especially body of rules or principles generally established as valid and fundamental in a field or art or philosophy; "the neoclassical canon"; "canons of polite society"
- 2. canon, priest
- usage: a priest who is a member of a cathedral chapter
- 3. canyon, canon, ravine
- usage: a ravine formed by a river in an area with little rainfall
- 4. canon, musical composition, opus, composition, piece, piece of music
- usage: a contrapuntal piece of music in which a melody in one part is imitated exactly in other parts
- 5. canon, list, listing
- usage: a complete list of saints that have been recognized by the Roman Catholic Church
- 6. canon, scripture, sacred scripture
- usage: a collection of books accepted as holy scripture especially the books of the Bible recognized by any Christian church as genuine and inspired
All rights reserved.
See also: canon (Dictionary)