Synonyms of canon
- 1. canon, rule, prescript
- usage: a rule or especially body of rules or principles generally established as valid and fundamental in a field or art or philosophy; "the neoclassical canon"; "canons of polite society"
- 2. canon, priest
- usage: a priest who is a member of a cathedral chapter
- 3. canyon, canon, ravine
- usage: a ravine formed by a river in an area with little rainfall
- 4. canon, musical composition, opus, composition, piece, piece of music
- usage: a contrapuntal piece of music in which a melody in one part is imitated exactly in other parts
- 5. canon, list, listing
- usage: a complete list of saints that have been recognized by the Roman Catholic Church
- 6. canon, scripture, sacred scripture
- usage: a collection of books accepted as holy scripture especially the books of the Bible recognized by any Christian church as genuine and inspired
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of canon (Dictionary)