- 1. brake, restraint, constraint
- usage: a restraint used to slow or stop a vehicle
- 2. brake, fern
- usage: any of various ferns of the genus Pteris having pinnately compound leaves and including several popular houseplants
- 3. bracken, pasture brake, brake, Pteridium aquilinum, fern
- usage: large coarse fern often several feet high; essentially weed ferns; cosmopolitan
- 4. brake, brush, brushwood, coppice, copse, thicket
- usage: an area thickly overgrown usually with one kind of plant
- 5. brake, restraint, constraint
- usage: anything that slows or hinders a process; "she wan not ready to put the brakes on her life with a marriage"; "new legislation will put the brakes on spending"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. brake, stop, halt
- usage: stop travelling by applying a brake; "We had to brake suddenly when a chicken crossed the road"
- 2. brake, stop
- usage: cause to stop by applying the brakes; "brake the car before you go into a curve"
All rights reserved.
See also: brake (Dictionary)