- 1. blacken, melanize, melanise, nigrify, black, discolor, discolour, colour, color
- usage: make or become black; "The smoke blackened the ceiling"; "The ceiling blackened"
- 2. char, blacken, sear, scorch, burn
- usage: burn slightly and superficially so as to affect color; "The cook blackened the chicken breast"; "The fire charred the ceiling above the mantelpiece"; "the flames scorched the ceiling"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. blackened, smoky (vs. smokeless)
- usage: darkened by smoke; "blackened rafters"
- 2. black, blackened, colored (vs. uncolored), coloured, colorful
- usage: (of the face) made black especially as with suffused blood; "a face black with fury"
All rights reserved.
See also: blackened (Dictionary)