- 1. benight, overwhelm, overpower, sweep over, whelm, overcome, overtake
- usage: overtake with darkness or night
- 2. benight, envelop, enfold, enwrap, wrap, enclose
- usage: envelop with social, intellectual, or moral darkness; "The benighted peoples of this area"
- 3. benight, bedim, darken
- usage: make darker and difficult to perceive by sight
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. benighted, nighted, unpunctual (vs. punctual)
- usage: overtaken by night or darkness; "benighted (or nighted) travelers hurrying toward home"
- 2. benighted, dark, unenlightened (vs. enlightened)
- usage: lacking enlightenment or knowledge or culture; "this benighted country"; "benighted ages of barbarism and superstition"; "the dark ages"; "a dark age in the history of education"
All rights reserved.
See also: benighted (Dictionary)