- 1. bank, slope, incline, side
- usage: sloping land (especially the slope beside a body of water); "they pulled the canoe up on the bank"; "he sat on the bank of the river and watched the currents"
- 2. depository financial institution, bank, banking concern, banking company, financial institution, financial organization, financial organisation
- usage: a financial institution that accepts deposits and channels the money into lending activities; "he cashed a check at the bank"; "that bank holds the mortgage on my home"
- 3. bank, ridge
- usage: a long ridge or pile; "a huge bank of earth"
- 4. bank, array
- usage: an arrangement of similar objects in a row or in tiers; "he operated a bank of switches"
- 5. bank, reserve, backlog, stockpile
- usage: a supply or stock held in reserve for future use (especially in emergencies)
- 6. bank, funds, finances, monetary resource, cash in hand, pecuniary resource
- usage: the funds held by a gambling house or the dealer in some gambling games; "he tried to break the bank at Monte Carlo"
- 7. bank, cant, camber, slope, incline, side
- usage: a slope in the turn of a road or track; the outside is higher than the inside in order to reduce the effects of centrifugal force
- 8. savings bank, coin bank, money box, bank, container
- usage: a container (usually with a slot in the top) for keeping money at home; "the coin bank was empty"
- 9. bank, bank building, depository, deposit, depositary, repository
- usage: a building in which the business of banking transacted; "the bank is on the corner of Nassau and Witherspoon"
- 10. bank, flight maneuver, airplane maneuver
- usage: a flight maneuver; aircraft tips laterally about its longitudinal axis (especially in turning); "the plane went into a steep bank"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. bank, tip
- usage: tip laterally; "the pilot had to bank the aircraft"
- 2. bank, enclose, close in, inclose, shut in
- usage: enclose with a bank; "bank roads"
- 3. bank, transact
- usage: do business with a bank or keep an account at a bank; "Where do you bank in this town?"
- 4. bank, act
- usage: act as the banker in a game or in gambling
- 5. bank, work, do work
- usage: be in the banking business
- 6. deposit, bank, give
- usage: put into a bank account; "She deposits her paycheck every month"
- 7. bank, cover
- usage: cover with ashes so to control the rate of burning; "bank a fire"
- 8. trust, swear, rely, bank, believe
- usage: have confidence or faith in; "We can trust in God"; "Rely on your friends"; "bank on your good education"; "I swear by my grandmother's recipes"
All rights reserved.
See also: bank (Dictionary)