- 1. ballast, material, stuff
- usage: any heavy material used to stabilize a ship or airship
- 2. ballast, gravel, crushed rock
- usage: coarse gravel laid to form a bed for streets and railroads
- 3. ballast, attribute
- usage: an attribute that tends to give stability in character and morals; something that steadies the mind or feelings
- 4. ballast resistor, ballast, barretter, resistor, resistance
- usage: a resistor inserted into a circuit to compensate for changes (as those arising from temperature fluctuations)
- 5. ballast, light ballast, electrical device
- usage: an electrical device for starting and regulating fluorescent and discharge lamps
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. ballast, brace, steady, stabilize, stabilise
- usage: make steady with a ballast
All rights reserved.
See also: ballast (Dictionary)