- 1. askew, awry(predicate), cockeyed, lopsided, wonky, skew-whiff, crooked (vs. straight)
- usage: turned or twisted toward one side; "a...youth with a gorgeous red necktie all awry"- G.K.Chesterton; "his wig was, as the British say, skew-whiff"
- 2. amiss(predicate), awry(predicate), haywire, wrong(predicate), malfunctioning (vs. functioning), nonfunctional
- usage: not functioning properly; "something is amiss"; "has gone completely haywire"; "something is wrong with the engine"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. awry, amiss
- usage: away from the correct or expected course; "something has gone awry in our plans"; "something went badly amiss in the preparations"
- 2. askew, awry, skew-whiff
- usage: turned or twisted to one side; "rugs lying askew"; "with his necktie twisted awry"
All rights reserved.
See also: awry (Dictionary)