- 1. guarantee, ensure, insure, assure, secure
- usage: make certain of; "This nest egg will ensure a nice retirement for us"; "Preparation will guarantee success!"
- 2. assure, tell, affirm, verify, assert, avow, aver, swan, swear
- usage: inform positively and with certainty and confidence; "I tell you that man is a crook!"
- 3. assure, persuade
- usage: assure somebody of the truth of something with the intention of giving the listener confidence; "I assured him that traveling to Cambodia was safe"
- 4. see, check, insure, see to it, ensure, control, ascertain, assure, verify
- usage: be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something; "He verified that the valves were closed"; "See that the curtains are closed"; "control the quality of the product"
- 5. reassure, assure, calm, calm down, quiet, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise, quieten, lull, still
- usage: cause to feel sure; give reassurance to; "The airline tried to reassure the customers that the planes were safe"
- 6. promise, assure, declare
- usage: make a promise or commitment
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. assured, confident (vs. diffident)
- usage: marked by assurance; exhibiting confidence; "she paints with an assured hand"
- 2. assured, secure (vs. insecure)
- usage: characterized by certainty or security; "a tiny but assured income"; "we can never have completely assured lives"
All rights reserved.
See also: assured (Dictionary)