WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. assail, assault, set on, attack
- usage: attack someone physically or emotionally; "The mugger assaulted the woman"; "Nightmares assailed him regularly"
- 2. attack, assail, contend, fight, struggle
- usage: launch an attack or assault on; begin hostilities or start warfare with; "Hitler attacked Poland on September 1, 1939 and started World War II"; "Serbian forces assailed Bosnian towns all week"
- 3. attack, round, assail, lash out, snipe, assault, knock, criticize, criticise, pick apart
- usage: attack in speech or writing; "The editors of the left-leaning paper attacked the new House Speaker"
All rights reserved.
See also: assail (Dictionary)