WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. asceticism, doctrine, philosophy, philosophical system, school of thought, ism
- usage: the doctrine that through renunciation of worldly pleasures it is possible to achieve a high spiritual or intellectual state
- 2. austerity, asceticism, nonindulgence, self-discipline, self-denial
- usage: the trait of great self-denial (especially refraining from worldly pleasures)
- 3. asceticism, ascesis, self-denial, self-discipline, self-control
- usage: rigorous self-denial and active self-restraint
All rights reserved.
See also: asceticism (Dictionary)