- 1. ascendant, ascendent, dominance, ascendance, ascendence, ascendancy, ascendency, control
- usage: position or state of being dominant or in control; "that idea was in the ascendant"
- 2. ancestor, ascendant, ascendent, antecedent, root, relative, relation
- usage: someone from whom you are descended (but usually more remote than a grandparent)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. ascendant, ascendent, ascensive, ascending(prenominal) (vs. descending)
- usage: tending or directed upward; "rooted and ascendant strength like that of foliage"- John Ruskin
- 2. ascendant, ascendent, dominating, dominant (vs. subordinate)
- usage: most powerful or important or influential; "the economically ascendant class"; "D-day is considered the dominating event of the war in Europe"
All rights reserved.
See also: ascendant (Dictionary)