- 1. collar, nail, apprehend, arrest, pick up, nab, cop, seize, prehend, clutch
- usage: take into custody; "the police nabbed the suspected criminals"
- 2. check, turn back, arrest, stop, contain, hold back, defend
- usage: hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
- 3. catch, arrest, get, attract, pull, pull in, draw, draw in
- usage: attract and fix; "His look caught her"; "She caught his eye"; "Catch the attention of the waiter"
- 4. halt, hold, arrest, stop
- usage: cause to stop; "Halt the engines"; "Arrest the progress"; "halt the presses"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. arresting, sensational, stunning, impressive (vs. unimpressive)
- usage: commanding attention; "an arresting drawing of people turning into animals"; "a sensational concert--one never to be forgotten"; "a stunning performance"
All rights reserved.
See also: arresting (Dictionary)