WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. application, practical application, use, usage, utilization, utilisation, employment, exercise
- usage: the act of bringing something to bear; using it for a particular purpose; "he advocated the application of statistics to the problem"; "a novel application of electronics to medical diagnosis"
- 2. application, request, petition, postulation
- usage: a verbal or written request for assistance or employment or admission to a school; "December 31 is the deadline for applications"
- 3. application, coating, covering, manual labor, manual labour
- usage: the work of applying something; "the doctor prescribed a topical application of iodine"; "a complete bleach requires several applications"; "the surface was ready for a coating of paint";
- 4. application, application program, applications programme, program, programme, computer program, computer programme
- usage: a program that gives a computer instructions that provide the user with tools to accomplish a task; "he has tried several different word processing applications"
- 5. lotion, application, remedy, curative, cure, therapeutic
- usage: liquid preparation having a soothing or antiseptic or medicinal action when applied to the skin; "a lotion for dry skin"
- 6. application, diligence, effort, elbow grease, exertion, travail, sweat
- usage: a diligent effort; "it is a job requiring serious application"
- 7. application, action
- usage: the action of putting something into operation; "the application of maximum thrust"; "massage has far-reaching medical applications"; "the application of indexes to tables of data"
All rights reserved.
See also: application (Dictionary)