- 1. answer, reply, response, statement
- usage: a statement (either spoken or written) that is made to reply to a question or request or criticism or accusation; "I waited several days for his answer"; "he wrote replies to several of his critics"
- 2. solution, answer, result, resolution, solvent, statement
- usage: a statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem; "they were trying to find a peaceful solution"; "the answers were in the back of the book"; "he computed the result to four decimal places"
- 3. answer, reply, response
- usage: the speech act of replying to a question
- 4. answer, pleading
- usage: the principal pleading by the defendant in response to plaintiff's complaint; in criminal law it consists of the defendant's plea of `guilty' or `not guilty' (or nolo contendere); in civil law it must contain denials of all allegations in the plaintiff's complaint that the defendant hopes to controvert and it can contain affirmative defenses or counterclaims
- 5. answer, reaction, response
- usage: a nonverbal reaction; "his answer to any problem was to get drunk"; "their answer was to sue me"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. answer, reply, respond, state, say, tell
- usage: react verbally; "She didn't want to answer"; "answer the question"; "We answered that we would accept the invitation"
- 2. answer, react, respond
- usage: respond to a signal; "answer the door"; "answer the telephone"
- 3. answer, solve, work out, figure out, puzzle out, lick, work
- usage: give the correct answer or solution to; "answer a question"; "answer the riddle"
- 4. answer, resolve, solve, work out, figure out, puzzle out, lick, work
- usage: understand the meaning of; "The question concerning the meaning of life cannot be answered"
- 5. answer, refute, rebut
- usage: give a defence or refutation of (a charge) or in (an argument); "The defendant answered to all the charges of the prosecution"
- 6. answer, be
- usage: be liable or accountable; "She must answer for her actions"
- 7. suffice, do, answer, serve, satisfy, fulfill, fulfil, live up to
- usage: be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity; "A few words would answer"; "This car suits my purpose well"; "Will $100 do?"; "A 'B' grade doesn't suffice to get me into medical school"; "Nothing else will serve"
- 8. answer, match, fit, correspond, check, jibe, gibe, tally, agree
- usage: match or correspond; "The drawing of the suspect answers to the description the victim gave"
- 9. answer, meet, satisfy, fill, fulfill, fulfil
- usage: be satisfactory for; meet the requirements of or serve the purpose of; "This may answer her needs"
- 10. answer, react, respond
- usage: react to a stimulus or command; "The steering of my new car answers to the slightest touch"
All rights reserved.
See also: answer (Dictionary)