- 1. anchor, ground tackle, hook, claw
- usage: a mechanical device that prevents a vessel from moving
- 2. anchor, mainstay, keystone, backbone, linchpin, lynchpin, support
- usage: a central cohesive source of support and stability; "faith is his anchor"; "the keystone of campaign reform was the ban on soft money"; "he is the linchpin of this firm"
- 3. anchor, anchorman, anchorperson, television reporter, television newscaster, TV reporter, TV newsman
- usage: a television reporter who coordinates a broadcast to which several correspondents contribute
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. anchor, ground, fasten, fix, secure
- usage: fix firmly and stably; "anchor the lamppost in concrete"
- 2. anchor, cast anchor, drop anchor, fasten, fix, secure
- usage: secure a vessel with an anchor; "We anchored at Baltimore"
All rights reserved.
See also: anchor (Dictionary)