WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. analysis, investigation, investigating
- usage: an investigation of the component parts of a whole and their relations in making up the whole
- 2. analysis, analytic thinking, reasoning, logical thinking, abstract thought
- usage: the abstract separation of a whole into its constituent parts in order to study the parts and their relations
- 3. analysis, criticism, literary criticism
- usage: a form of literary criticism in which the structure of a piece of writing is analyzed
- 4. analysis, expressive style, style
- usage: the use of closed-class words instead of inflections: e.g., `the father of the bride' instead of `the bride's father'
- 5. analysis, calculus, infinitesimal calculus
- usage: a branch of mathematics involving calculus and the theory of limits; sequences and series and integration and differentiation
- 6. psychoanalysis, analysis, depth psychology, psychotherapy
- usage: a set of techniques for exploring underlying motives and a method of treating various mental disorders; based on the theories of Sigmund Freud; "his physician recommended psychoanalysis"
All rights reserved.
See also: analysis (Dictionary)