1. advance, progress, pass on, move on, march on, go on, travel, go, move, locomote
usage: move forward, also in the metaphorical sense; "Time marches on"
2. advance, throw out, propose, suggest, advise
usage: bring forward for consideration or acceptance; "advance an argument"
3. boost, advance, supercharge, increase
usage: increase or raise; "boost the voltage in an electrical circuit"
4. promote, advance, boost, further, encourage, support, back up
usage: contribute to the progress or growth of; "I am promoting the use of computers in the classroom"
5. advance, bring forward, move, displace
usage: cause to move forward; "Can you move the car seat forward?"
6. gain, advance, win, pull ahead, make headway, get ahead, gain ground
usage: obtain advantages, such as points, etc.; "The home team was gaining ground"; "After defeating the Knicks, the Blazers pulled ahead of the Lakers in the battle for the number-one playoff berth in the Western Conference"
7. progress, come on, come along, advance, get on, get along, shape up, develop
usage: develop in a positive way; "He progressed well in school"; "My plants are coming along"; "Plans are shaping up"
usage: give a promotion to or assign to a higher position; "John was kicked upstairs when a replacement was hired"; "Women tend not to advance in the major law firms"; "I got promoted after many years of hard work"
10. advance, lend, loan
usage: pay in advance; "Can you advance me some money?"
11. advance, set ahead, set
usage: move forward; "we have to advance clocks and watches when we travel eastward"
12. advance, gain, wax, mount, climb, rise
usage: rise in rate or price; "The stock market gained 24 points today"