WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. addition, add-on, improver, component, constituent, element
- usage: a component that is added to something to improve it; "the addition of a bathroom was a major improvement"; "the addition of cinnamon improved the flavor"
- 2. addition, increase, step-up
- usage: the act of adding one thing to another; "the addition of flowers created a pleasing effect"; "the addition of a leap day every four years"
- 3. addition, increase, gain, indefinite quantity
- usage: a quantity that is added; "there was an addition to property taxes this year"; "they recorded the cattle's gain in weight over a period of weeks"
- 4. accession, addition, acquisition
- usage: something added to what you already have; "the librarian shelved the new accessions"; "he was a new addition to the staff"
- 5. addition, suburb, suburbia, suburban area
- usage: a suburban area laid out in streets and lots for a future residential area
- 6. summation, addition, plus, arithmetic operation
- usage: the arithmetic operation of summing; calculating the sum of two or more numbers; "the summation of four and three gives seven"; "four plus three equals seven"
All rights reserved.
See also: addition (Dictionary)